So, not feeling very creative just yet, I have decided to go back to my Del Prado house, which now has been 15 years in the making... The way I have gone about it, working on a room at the time, without finishing the building and painting all the way through was not very clever, but.... I have always thought of this house as my 'trial' house, which doesn't necessarily follow a certain period, but is put together with stuff that I feel like using at the time and I am learning (yes, still learning after 15 years!) in the process.
Downstairs mostly finished now I have moved to the next floor. The curtains in the living room needed to be finished off with a bit of painted cardboard at the top:
|A cover for the pelmet|
The bedroom is next. Another reason for the delay, besides not having had an interest in miniatures for a while, was that I did not realise I had wallpaper left over. So, I have been searching high and low and every show, in every internet shop, but could not find the same paper. It wasn't until I was cleaning out some stuff that I discovered the rest of the wallpaper in a spot where I had not looked before. I made a minor mistake with the lining up, but I wonder how often it will be apparent...
|Front wall papered and ready for the curtains|
The curtains were next. I kind of like making curtains, but don't like using the pleat mats. I shape them on a board and spray them with starch, although the starch didn't take on the velour, but the fabric draped quite easily.
|The curtained bedroom window|
|A looksey from the outside|
I personally prefer windows with windowsills, but there isn't much room for them in this house, so the only room with windowsills is the kitchen.
My next step is hanging the doors. Here again I ran into problems, because the stain I used some 15 years ago has not been available any more since many years. When I complained at the hardware store about the difference in colours and texture I was given a can of varnish for free. I was told to experiment with the new stain I had bought by mixing it with the clear varnish. It works a treat, so I am very happy. No differences any more, which is good, because I still need to do the doors and the rest of the matching furniture...
|Doors in the making|