Sunday, February 5, 2012

My dolls house - part 7

Well, my pondering worked, as well as my corresponding with like minded mini-friends.  I received a few tips about making curtains so I set out to work. As you know, I didn't want to use a pretty pleater and the first tip was to use skewers.  I wanted to try it, but discovered soon enough that I didn't have enough skewers and, impatient as I was, I didn't want to wait till I could go out and do my shopping.  The second tip was to use a polystyrene board and spray starch.  I had both, so I could start straightaway.  Here's a picture of the pelmet and the curtains drying:

I haven't tried my hand yet at making miniature tassels, so I made the same tie-backs as I have made for my own 1:1 bedroom in one of our former houses.  I quite like the look.  Lace curtains were missing, however, so I went through my stash of fabric and found a particular nice piece.  The patterns on it were a wee bit big, but I didn't care, since the lace fabric itself was so beautiful and fitting for this window.

The tie-backs I have fitted with tiny rings to be able to attach them to a small brass nail at the side of the windows.  I had to pull back the curtains a bit, because as this house is just riddled with problems, the pelmets were really too narrow for the windows.  They are exactly the width of the windows, but there is no accounting for the width of the wood, thus one ends up with curtains narrower than the width of the windows.  In such small scale 3 mm on each end would be nearly 4 cm in real life.  Far too much!

It's very noticeable when you open the door and look at the curtains from the side on:

There is nothing much I can do about it now, so I try not to let it worry me too much.  (Please ignore the camera inside the house.  It's one of those minis that I haven't found a place for yet and it's too fragile to put away in a box with all the other furniture.)  And this is what it looks like from the outside:

Not bad I reckon, although eventually I want to see some greenery.  At the moment it all looks a bit sterile.  But hey, Rome wasn't built in a day, was it? :-)

Considering what the curtains should have looked like if I had literally followed the instructions from the book (and used the original material) I am pretty pleased with myself:

Alas, the lounge and chairs I had made in the very beginning and back then I used the fabric that originally came with the kit.  It's not too bad, but with more experience behind me I would now have chosen a different fabric for the other furnishings.

My next step might be getting the furniture in place downstairs and do some work on the decorating perhaps. The doors will have to wait till I can find magnetic strips.  I am in no hurry.  At least I can keep the dust out for the moment.

See you around next time and have a great day, wherever you are...


  1. Fabulous curtains Marion, very natural looking pleats. I've bookmarded them so I can go back and look over and over!

  2. Piękne! Zakochałam się w tym oknie. Cudo! Uściski.
    Beautiful! I fell in love in this window. Beauty! Hugs.

  3. Thank you both for your compliments. I am currently working on the kitchen window. I have changed that one completely too and want to provide for geraniums and herbs on the windowsill.

  4. I, too, must get some curtains on my windows!
    Your entry was enough to get me going, maybe even this very weekend. Thanks!

    A new follower:


So kind of you to leave a comment.

Thank you also for visiting my blog.

However, comments with the purpose of (hidden) advertising will not be considered genuine and will be removed.