Wednesday, April 27, 2011

And another workshop...

It’s probably starting to sound a bit boring for you, but it wasn’t for me! For this workshop I had to travel to Zoetermeer again where we were received by Bert and his wife Jacqueline with a lovely cuppa. It was going to be a busy day for Bert, because he had to do part of the catering as well as his workshop. Jacqueline had broken her foot and wasn’t as mobile as she would’ve liked to be.  Besides, Frank was going to help Bert with a few things on the metal lathe and it all had to be fitted into the one day…

After coffee and a bit of a chat we went upstairs. Bert was going to teach me how to make a piano and in order to do so I was going to use various machines. I love working with wood, which was one of the reasons I had chosen this workshop.

The parts laid out

Bert had laid out all the parts of the piano and we made a start. I won’t bore you with all the details, but I got to use the table saw, jig saw and router with router table to make and fit the various parts. When a piece of wood was a bit too thick I also had the use of the cutest little thicknesser I have ever seen in my life. I would just love to own this little toy!

Small size thicknesser

It works just the same as the full size one, like every other machine does, but too me it looked just so special…

Lunch wasn’t forgotten and since it was again a lovely sunny day we had it outside and chatted away amicably. After lunch I still had to work very hard to get it all done. I seemed to be a bit slow, because I had problems getting the fence of the table saw set to the right measurements and when working in mms it is of course most important. Anyway, I got there steadily:

Getting there


Halfway...
When it finally looked like a real piano I had to do the most difficult part: wood turning on the lathe. It was at least 12 years ago since I had touched a wood lathe and done my first (and temporarily last) bit of turning, so I had forgotten more than I had learned. Eventually I ended up with two somewhat identical turnings and it was high time we’d say our goodbyes and let those two lovely people sit down at their dinner.

Me turning

The turned part

For us it was a quick bite to eat on the way home and a short evening till it was time to go to bed. An end to another very satisfying day…

Bye the way, all my workshop items I will eventually show of course.  I just don't get the time right now to finish everything.

3 comments:

  1. Not boring at all! It would be wonderful to be able to play with all those tools. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished articles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to see what you've been up to, and I agree with Christine, I'd love to get a chance to try out those great mini machines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marion, I loved your post and the workshop looked like it was really exciting! How wonderful to make a piano too!! I look forward to seeing the finished projects that you have done!

    ReplyDelete

So kind of you to leave a comment.

Thank you also for visiting my blog.

However, comments with the purpose of (hidden) advertising will not be considered genuine and will be removed.