Thursday, November 11, 2021

My dollshouse - part 13

May 2015! That was the last time I posted on my blog, and that goes approximately for my other two blogs as well.  The good news however is that 6 years later I have taken up the hobby again.  So much has happened since, mainly travelling, which got in the way of my hobby.  Anyway, I am back and have worked on my Witch's Cottage as well as The Florist, so both blogs are up to date.  I have now moved on to my main dollshouse, which has now been 23 years in the making!

Bathroom

For a while I could not decide if I wanted to have a smaller bathroom and add a sewing room next to it, or would just stick with the big one.  As I am (and was) becoming quite bored with the project and want it finished I decided to do no more work than strictly necessary so that I can move on.

I didn't want to use the standard wallpaper, ugly pink faint idea of tiles, so I jumped on my computer and designed a tiled wall, roughly to the height of normal wainscoting. I printed the design on photographic paper and scored the outline of the tiles.  I have done this satisfactorily before when I built a kitchen in a roombox. 

One of the prepared tile panels

The original floor paper was meant to make the floor look like one big pink marble slab.  In itself not bad, but for me just nog good enough.  I cut it up into 'tiles' at 1/12th scale of our original floor tiles in the house and glued them onto paper.  I had a bit of a problem with the cutting. so they are not all the same size.  Hopefully it won't look too bad after I will have added grout, which I haven't done as yet.


No grout added as yet

Don't know if this bathroom cabinet is staying...

I have gathered the bathroom kits.  The cabinet with sink and mirror I had finished in the very beginning (some 20 years ago!?), as I had the bath and toilet.  The other kits I have discovered in an old shoebox and I will complete them shortly, most likely during club meetings.

Next I made up a container with grout and added a bit of grey and black paint to it to make it look more like cement. I have grouted the tiles and the floor is currently drying.









In the meantime I have finished the lamp for the bedroom and hung and connected it.  It works!





The bathroom lamp is in the making, but I used a bit too much of the glass paint, so it takes a while to dry properly.




A bit at a loss of what to do with the bathroom windows, I have decided to try and make venetian blinds.  The prototype is going to be made of paper.  If it works I will decide about the finished product. 

Hubby helped me with the jig to drill the holes in the slats, because I haven't set up my machines properly yet.  Don't forget it's been six or so years since I have been working on my dollshouses!
He made the template, and I have set up the drill and the drill stand.  I'm getting somewhere...









6 comments:

  1. I love the tiled walls and the floor. Thank you for sharing the idea of using photo paper for the wall tiles.
    Hugs,
    Drora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Drora, for some reason I didn't get notified that there was a new comment. Thank you for leaving one and I love sharing to help people if I can. I myself seem to learn new things all the time as well. Enjoy your hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That tiled floor is going to ge great! And I love the coloured lamp shade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I love making something of otherwise boring lamps.... ;-)

      Delete
  4. Wow, I didn't realise you'd updated! It's so cool to see someone else's Del Prado. I recognise so many of the bits and bobs and remember putting together mine back in 2014. I found your blog helpful with some of the challenges I had with mine at the time. You can see my photos of the experience here if you like: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152117964241599&type=3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the tile floor idea, I wish I had thought of that.

    ReplyDelete

So kind of you to leave a comment.

Thank you also for visiting my blog.

However, comments with the purpose of (hidden) advertising will not be considered genuine and will be removed.