When I made the stairs, way before I started on the hallway, I did so under supervision of my little cat. She's no longer alive and I miss her dearly. She was such good company while I was working and never got in the way. Mostly she was content just basking in the sun and watching the chickens outside. (BTW I have moved twice since and don't have the chickens anymore either. The more is the pity...)
So, I made the door with a kind of leadlight window, cut a hole in the wall, made a door frame and placed the door. I reckon it looks good. The walls I have covered with stained paddlepopsticks and the wall above that I have painted off-white with a bit of sand added to the paint. This gives it a nice texture. I'd done the same with the wall over the fire place in the kitchen and liked the effect very much.
At the time I didn't really know what to do with the floor, until I happened upon some black contact that looked a bit like marble. I bought some white contact as well and cut out the tiles for the hallway. It gives it an old fashioned look that I like. The lamp, as well as the umbrella stand and a waste paper basket I have painted green (the lamp with glass paint, the others with acrylics) and stuck some gold stickers on for decoration. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the bin and umbrella stand, but if you take a look at the lamp you get the drift.
By the time I took this photo I had already made the doors on both sides as well. In actual fact however, they were done after downstairs was finished. I didn't want to leave the doors plain, so bought some strips of 0.5 mm thick (or should I say 'thin' ;-)) and glued these on. In the future, with other dollshouses or roomboxes, I might be more adventurous and use the router to do some shaping. For now I am happy enough with the strips.
Next was the living room and this one took me a long, long time, because I wanted a parquet floor. I had a whole box with veneer, given to me by a friend some years before. She'd also given me a cutter, so I sat there, day after day, cutting little strips of veneer. I glued them all on cardboard (easier to just slide into a room) and gave them a coat with bees wax. It looked super and still does. It was a lot of work, but well worth it:
|showing the difference between waxed and not waxed|
Besides the wallpaper in the kitchen, which I liked, I never used any of the flooring or wallpapers that came with the house. In the room I have used very dark paper, so very much liked in the stuffy and dark Victorian period.
The furniture for the living room I had already done, so I do have a cabinet with shelves, a lounge, a dining table and four chairs. None of them done with any creativity on my part. Since they were almost the first parts of furniture I made, I just followed the instructions.
|This is roughly what I had, save for the guitar and other small stuff, which I made much later|
Later I made the mantelpiece and a fire in the hearth. The mantelpiece is partially faux marble. It took a lot of time getting it right. The fire is lit by way of a flickering light. I bought the kit and soldered it with the help of my son. (Soldering is not my strongest side!) Luckily I had some wallpaper left to cover the top half of the mantelpiece. The old wallpaper had slightly faded, but I bet that by now I won't see the difference anymore.
You can tell that by then I was becoming a bit more adventurous. The basket for the fire I designed and made myself. The front is part of a metal balcony railing, the end bits are toothpicks and the back just blackened cardboard with a finding bought at the egg decorators. The 'coal' is painted cat litter!
And this is it for today. The following update will probably be a small one and after that I will try and take pictures as I go, because between then and now I have hardly done a thing...
Rest me to welcome three more followers:
Adrie from the Netherlands at Adrie's Poppenhuizen, mindymax and rmartedal. The last two don't seem to have a blog or website, so please, if you read this and you do have one let me know and I post it here. Anyway, a warm welcome on my blog and I hope you'll enjoy the reading.
In the meantime I have also worked on my log this afternoon. There were a number of items I had left out in the past, and probably a greater number from earlier this year, but that'll be done next week or so. At least I am heading in the right direction. ;-)
See you all next time.